Smoky Mountain Historic Walker Sisters Cabin Closed To Public due to safety concerns. Built in the 1800’s the cabin was occupied by the Walker Sisters until 1964. The sisters were allowed to keep their childhood home for over three decades after the national park was established. The sisters home was often a destination for park visitors who continued there primitive and pioneer like lifestyle despite the dramatic changes in the world around them.
Park crews are concerned about recent movement around the chimney in the two-story cabin. Noticeable cracks and buckling around the stone masonry need to be repaired and stabilized to prevent further movement. The cabin is now closed to all use.
Cabin renovations, including roof replacement, are planned for the 2022 field season. The Friends of the Smokies have provided funding for this critical work as part of the Forever Places campaign to protect and preserve the park’s historical resources. The historic farmstead, including additional outbuildings, will remain accessible during the cabin closure. Visitors may reach the area by hiking approximately 1.4 miles along the Little Brier Gap Trail located near the Metcalf Bottoms Picnic Area.